Sunday, August 11, 2013

God's Subtle Reminders


This weekend was a great reminder for me that I am not in control, no matter how much I think I am. Saturday was a wonderful day filled with many blessings - breakfast at La Madeleine, window shopping at Garden Ridge and some relaxation at home before dinner at my parents' house. Today, on the other hand, was one of God's subtle reminders that oh-so-gently reminded us we are not in control. My beautiful daughter, A, was in rare form today. We knew soon after breakfast that she was not her normal, carefree self. It is amazing to me that I tend to forget that kids have "off" days too. 

My mom reminded me that she is her own little person too. Too many times today did I sigh loudly, roll my eyes or wish I was somewhere else. That is not A's fault. I have my own off days and I am sure during those times my husband and A wish they were somewhere else. As I look at the picture above that I took this afternoon, I see God quietly reminding me that I need to savor these times and these years for too soon will they be gone. 

With A not even 2 yet, it is hard to remind myself that I will truly miss this young years. It is the same as when you are growing up and your family says that you will miss the high school or college years when they are gone. Boy, were they right! I think the following quote by Joni Eareckson Tada is perfect to explain the purpose of my struggles today: "The times we find ourselves having to wait on others may be the perfect opportunities to train ourselves to wait on the Lord.”

Thank you God for this reminder, this lesson and this blessing. I didn't see Your hand's guidance during the day but I do now. And I truly thank you for the second greatest teacher in my life....my daughter.

1 comment:

  1. Yep...gone super fast! Each age has its own kind of blessings and challenges.
    We're working on a strong willed, distract able period marked by remarkable patience in wanting to teach his younger sister everything. Kylee is another person altogether. And over twice A's age! She can't wait to be older and bigger...wanting a countdown for her fifth birthday which isn't for months yet.

    ReplyDelete